Monday, August 5, 2013

My Short Story Handicap

For ever and ever I've looked at my sister's beautiful short story writing ability and sighed. I've seen competitions for short story writers...and sighed. It's a massive handicap to not be able to write short stories. I wish I could so bad.

For some reason I have no inherent ability to write short stories. I've tried to write thousands, and have only completed two. And only one was any good. (I'm actually quite proud of that one. It's pretty awesome. Well, fast-paced and one part is kinda random, but overall a good one. Rabbit trail.)

I think it has something to do with my detailistic mind. Either way, when I sit down to write a "short story", things get so complicated I end up writing thirty pages before stopping and going, "This isn't short, therefore, NOT A SHORT STORY."

But I would, like, SO enjoy writing a story that is short and to the point. It would be SO FUN. The problem is, I just can't seem to fit all that I want in just ten pages. How do you fit a story in ten pages? How do you create believable characters, a compelling plot, and interesting elements in just ten pages?

Does anyone have any pointers on short story writing? What are your secrets? How do you keep a short story short?


2 comments:

Chloe said...

If you ever figure out the secrets to writing short stories, be sure to let us know. I find that if I have a pre-set work count limit, it's a little bit easier to not go overboard with the words-- still, I have written two less short stories than you.

Anastasia Cross said...

Good tip. I think it really all depends on the kind of story you're writing. If you are writing a short story that is actually a whole ten-page story, then you really need to keep concise. All my stories have been sort of "short scenes" more than anything. I've written two scenes in two different novels in short story form and it wasn't so hard. You just have to find the inciting incident, black moment, and climax all within 5-10 pages.

~Ana

P.S. Maybe it's time to make another short story post... ;)